Buying your first home doesn't have to be a terrifying experience. Surprisingly, however, that's how many perspective homeowners view the process. According to Nerdwallet, millennials, especially, are hesitant to enter into the home-buying arena, even though they'd like to become homeowners and see the value of buying over renting. Most feel they don't yet make enough money to foot a monthly mortgage.
But this is where Carolina Trust gives you an advantage over competing mortgage companies. At Carolina Trust, we'll work with you to find repayment options that fit your budget and your lifestyle so there's no need to put off buying that home you've been dreaming about.
We've put together a short list of dos and don't to help you get approved for a home loan. Whenever you're ready to take the plunge, this checklist will help get you to the right place.
- Do: Check on the status of your credit. Do this as early as possible in the planning process -- as much as a year in advance if you think there could be negative items impacting your credit score. This will give you time to pay off any neglected debts and have them cleared from your report.
- Don't: Immediately begin buying furniture and accessories once your loan is approved. The powers that be will be checking and re-checking your bank statements and credit card limits throughout the process, so be responsible in your spending during this time.
- Do: Have your down payment ready. Back before the housing market crashed, it was easier to secure a home loan with little or no down payment, but things have changed. To up your chances of getting a home loan today, plan to put down at least 10 percent of the cost of the home.
- Don't: Quit your job. It's important to show how responsible you are when you're applying for a home loan. Lenders want to see a strong, reliable work history coupled with responsible spending before they're ready to help you get approved for a home loan. So stay put in your job during the application and closing process.
- Do: Have your budget in mind. This means you need to know exactly how much you can afford to spend each month on mortgage payments. A good rule of thumb is to keep your house payment below 35 percent of your whole income, says MoneyUnderThirty.com.
Approximately 35 percent of today's home buyers are first-timers, and there's no reason why you can't be a part of that happy statistic. Learn how to get approved for a home loan today by reaching out to our Mortgage Team.
Our loan specialists are friendly, knowledgeable and caring. We want to put you in the home of your dreams with as little hassle as possible, and we do that by simplifying the whole experience. You'll enjoy our easy application process and lack of hidden fees as you move forward to this next stage of life.
Do something good for yourself and something good for the community by contacting Carolina Trust to begin getting approved for a home loan today.
For more tips on how to get approved for a home loan, review our complete homebuying checklist “10 Steps to Buying a House in the Carolinas!”